Monday, December 31, 2018

Exploring Video Final Exam

Advanced Feature Story

                           
This project was a feature story about the graphic design program here at Olathe Northwest. I worked on this with Logan and Carson, and we interviewed Mrs. Beaudoin, Drew Sappingfield, and Roman Clark. It took us about two weeks to get everything right, from writing our questions all the way to editing everything. The hardest part of this was matching up the audio and video, as we recorded it on two separate devices! However Premiere Pro was really helpful in doing so, as I could snap the lip movement with the audio! Along the way, I learned that you really need to capture more b-roll than you think, even when it feels like you have plenty. I did my best to use the six-shot-system for this project, but I really just didn't have enough to go with my voiceover. Some feedback I was given was that my lead for the piece was great, but my lighting during the interviews wasn't. We wanted good sound so we used the sound proof room, but I won't use that for interviews again as it was too dark. 

ONW Now Video


This was my team's piece for ONW Now, an "In the Halls" interview! I had a blast being the anchor for this project and I really only worked on it for one day! The hardest part for me was being gone for the majority of the project, and I wasn't around to help with really any of the post production. Along the way I learned how to use the mic with the camera, and how to not separate the audio and video! Our video turned out great, and the feedback on our overall ONW Now was phenomenal! We had a really good production!

My time in class

I won't lie, I can tend to goof around. But honestly, in terms of deadlines, I think I work pretty hard! The only late assignments Ive had have been blogposts, and I think Ive used my time wisely, especially with editing. I consider myself to be pretty good with Premiere Pro, so often times I'll finish my video and I'll have extra time to really enhance it in post! I also so more editing outside of class just for fun, like making music videos with my cousin or sports edits for myself!

Strengths and Needs

I definitely have a strength in editing using Premiere Pro, and also in my acting and creativity. I love being in front of the camera, but also working in post production and watching as everything falls into place. I think my biggest need right now is understanding the camera, and really knowing how to use all of its functions. I only just learned how to use the mic and still wouldn't know exactly how to set it up if you asked me! Obviously I understand the basics, but it'd be nice to be proficient with all the bells and whistles of it.

Summary

This semester of e-comm has only solidified my idea of my career someday. I've wanted to be a video editor for a long time, and working on these real news and feature stories has not changed my mind at all! I love editing the work that team has done, and watching as it unfolds into a real and good piece of work. My favorite project is still the ONW Now production, and working in the control room with some great people. A goal I'd like to set for myself is to understand the camera more, and really become an expert in using it. Something I'd change from this semester is my blogposts, and actually GETTING THEM IN ON TIME... I"ll work on that. :)
Lastly I think my biggest takeaway has just been working on collaboration and teamwork, knowing when to be a leader and when to let others take charge.



No comments:

Post a Comment