Monday, March 18, 2019

Vector Illustrated Portrait



Pre-Production

For this project I wanted to use a balanced picture, one with different colors, different shades, shadows, etc. I didn't want something basic or boring. I thought this picture covered all of those bases, and it was simple enough to complete within my skill-level. I took the original photo into photoshop and cropped it onto an 8x10 artboard. I then made a copy and muted the colors a little, (to make it easier to trace).

Production

At the beginning, I ran into many problems. I wasn't sure how detailed to make my shapes, and every time I started I could never get it to look right. I began with the jeans and it always looked fake, it looked so forced. I reset multiple times and eventually landed on a simplistic design. It reminds me of a comic book sort of, but I think it looks more natural than when I tried too detailed designs. I really tried to make sure the colors matched up, especially the shadowed areas. I think that's what gives this piece its realism. The light in the top right corner beads down on the subject. 

Post-Production

I'm very pleased with the way my project turned out. If I had more time, I think I would focus on making the face and hair more detailed, and cleaning up the front hand. It doesn't look very real but it's hard to make hands look right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment