Tuesday, May 21, 2019

End of Semester Final

Event Advertisement

My favorite project we did this semester was the  event advertising. I got to brand and advertise a fake concert for my favorite artist, Jon Bellion. This project took about a month to fully finish. Some challenges I faced was just "artists block", not coming up with designs or things to add. Some new skills I learned were how to better cut people out in photoshop and align them in illustrator. I worked a lot on my alignment in general and how to stick to one color scheme only. I am really proud of the consistency and details that carry over from design to design. I think all four pieces are clean and they turned out looking good! Some feedback I took is to try to fill the blank space a little bit more. I also need to add some more of my own original designs, not always photographs.






Vector Portrait

Another project we did this semester was the Vector Portrait. My subject is my cousin Caleb. This project took just under a month to finish. The biggest challenge I faced was trying to understand how detailed or simple to make his clothes and skin. I also wasn't sure whether or not to pen tool the background, but I decided against it. I worked with the pen tool on him however, and I actually got really good at it! Color matching and correcting was a large part of this as well. I'm pretty happy with the result even though it's very simple. I'd like to work on a complicated vector in the future to really put myself to the test. Some feedback I took is to be more detailed, but also to work with the foreground rather than the back (his hand is pretty bad lol). Overall, it's not too bad, and I like the comic-book feel a lot.


Greeting Card
  The third project I'll write about from this semester was the Greeting Card. I made this design for my friend Saul who plays guitar. This project didn't take that long, maybe a week, and the pre-production work was the hardest. The biggest challenge I faced was writing with the calligraphy. Tracing it in illustrator was easy, but I was bad with the marker! This project was another where we used the pen tool, and I even made the guitar and notes from scratch! I wrote the font and chose the colors that I knew would resonate with Saul. I'm pretty happy with the result even though it's very simple. Some feedback I took is to smooth out the type face more using the pen tool. I tried to, but it never seemed to work entirely 100%. Overall I really like this one! I got to print it and hand deliver it so that was even cooler.















Productivity

I really think I worked hard this semester in graphic design. I have all my work done and turned in, and when I finished early I would create more mockups or try different designs. I did a lot of independent research on google or just talking to classmates. If I had an idea but I didn't know how to execute it, I would rarely just quit the idea. I would usually critique my projects after they were turned in just to get points back, but I'd fix them along the way if they had problems. 

Strengths

I honestly think I'm a really strong helper! I'm good at problem-solving so people can come to me when they have roadblocks. I think that's just part of my personality, not even my skill. I've gotten so much better at using the programs too. One thing I really pride myself in is the keyboard shortcuts I remember. That's honestly one of my favorite things about this class. Just learning to use the technology better. Even though I'm going into video next year, I think I can use the graphic design skills I've learned. Making titles, graphics, etc.

Weaknesses

One of my struggles is asking for help too often. Many times I go straight to the teacher instead of figuring it out myself, I want to work on that. I also tend to rush into a project without planning first. I should have an outline or at least sketches before I begin. Too often I just try to create as I go. 

Conclusion

I really liked the independency of the projects this year! Freshman year was so directed and so structured. This year I got to create what I wanted to create (of course with certain guidelines). That was really my favorite part. One of the only things I'd change about the class is Blogger! This website is super clunky and I'm just not a fan of it at all to be honest. I feel like there are plenty of blog sites that could be used. 
A goal for next year is to do EVERYTHING! I'm going into SID and I want to do it all. I want to try commentating, working behind the cameras, talking in front of the cameras, working on the control center, all of it!! I'm very excited for junior year and I'm thankful for everything graphic design taught me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment